Does your management job seem impossible? If so, that’s not surprising. Your many roles are so often contradictory.
You can, however, triumph over managerial obstacles, despite conflicting expectations, if you focus less on what you should do and more on how you should think. Successful managers think their way through their jobs, using five different mind-sets that allow them to deal adeptly with the world around them:
1) A reflective mind-set allows you to be thoughtful, to see familiar experiences in a new light, setting the stage for insights and innovative products and services.
2) An analytical mind-set ensures that you make decisions based on in-depth data–both quantitative and qualitative.
3) A worldly mind-set provides you with cultural and social insights essential to operating in diverse regions, serving varied customer segments.
4) A collaborative mind-set enables you to orchestrate relationships among individuals and teams producing your products and services.
5) An action mind-set energizes you to create and expedite the best plans for achieving your strategic goals.
The key to your managerial effectiveness? Regularly access all five mind-sets, not in any particular order, but by cycling through each as needed. And don’t go it alone. When you collaborate with colleagues by interweaving your collective mind-sets, you–and your organization–will excel.