This is a favourite of mine and simple to make. Best of all, it goes down a treat. So, here’s the recipe for how to make corn beef with red wine and juniper berries.
2kg piece of corned beef (silverside)
500mls (2 cups) red wine vinegar
320g (2 cups, lightly packed) brown sugar
250mls (1 cup) dry red wine
250mls (1 cup) water
1 small brown onion, peeled, halved
1 bunch dill, leaves picked
2tbs dried juniper berries, crushed
1. Place the corned beef in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover and soak in the fridge overnight. (Due to the preserving process, corned beef is very salty. Soaking it overnight draws out some of the salt.)
2. Preheat over to 130 degrees
3. Remove the corned beef from the water and trim excess fat and sinew.
4. Place the red wine vinegar, brown sugar, red wine, water, onion, dill and juniper berries in a 4 litre (16 cup) heavy based, flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish. Bring to the boil over high heat. Place the corned beef in the liquid. Cover and place the dish in preheated oven. Cook for 4 hours or until the corned beef is very tender.
5. Remove the corned beef from the liquid and cut into slices.
Marquette Turner Luxury Homes on MarquetteTurner.com