Old Wives’ tales are urban legends, throughout the world. And, regardless of how much truth they hold or how much superstition they suggest, the advice on nutrition, puberty, manners, and pregnancy, to name but a few topics, are fun to read nonetheless.
In this article, I’m looking at tales surrounding your feet and hands.
7) It is unlucky to cut your fingernails on a Friday or Saturday.
8 ) Two people should never wash their hands together in the same water – it will lead to an argument between them.
9) The Kings of England had the power to ‘heal by touch’.
10) The hand of an executed criminal, cut from his body while still on the gallows, had healing powers as well as providing its new owner with the ability to commit crime and robbery without being caught.
11) If your palm of your right hand itches you will receive money. If your left palm itches you will lose money (left, lose; right, receive).
12) If a woman cuts the nails of her right hand with her left hand, she will have the upper hand in marriage.
13) To avoid bad luck never enter a building with the left foot first.
14) If you have an itching foot you are about to embark on a journey to somewhere new.
15) If you have flat feet you will have a bad temper.