Old Wives’ tales are urban legends, throughout the world. And, regardless of how much truth they hold or how much superstition they suggest, the advice on nutrition, puberty, manners, and pregnancy, to name but a few topics, are fun to read nonetheless.
In this article I’m looking at the “tales” on “the home”.
– It is unlucky to enter a house for the first time by the back door – this entrance is not protected against evil spirits.
– Avoid visitors leaving by the same door they come in to avoid the visitors taking “the owner’s luck” with them.
– Always leave a door open when a child is being born or someone will die. This allows entry or exit to our world without hindrance.
– If you buy a broom or brush in May, you’ll sweep the head of the household away.
– Get out of bed on the right-hand-side as the left-hand-side is associated with the Devil.
– To ensure a long life, sleep on your bed in the north–south direction.
– It is unlucky to pass anyone on the stairs – cross your fingers if you do so.
– Do not sing in the bath as it will lead to sadness before the end of the day.
Marquette Turner Luxury Homes