Helpful Tips to Save Energy from Energy Australia
One of Australia’s biggest utility companies, Energy Australia has published a guide on how to save energy, believing you can if you know how. With energy costs increasing, listed below are ways you can reduce your costs and become energy efficient.
1. Switch Off. Standby power can account for up to 10% of household energy use. Home office and entertainment appliances are the worst offenders. Switch appliances off at the power button, or better still, switch them off at the wall.
2. Save on Hot Water. Hot water systems are the biggest energy users in the home. Reduce costs by installin a 3 star rated shower head and consider taking showers for a shorter time – 1 minute less per shower saves enough electricity to run a medium sized LCD TV for around two hours.
3. Cold Wash, Natural Dry. Use cold water in the laundry and on sunny days give your clothes a break and hang you clothes outside.
4. Smarter Heating. Gas heaters are much more cost effective than portable electric heaters during winter. Try not to overheat your home. To save energy, the temperature of a heated room in winter should be between 18-21 degrees.
5. Keep The Heat In. Draught proofing under doors and around windows is also a cheap and easy way to improve the insulation in your home. A lot of heat can also be lost through windows. So it is important when heating to cover windows by closing blinds or curtains. And remember to close doors to rooms that are not in use.