The emergency in Christchurch on the South Island of New Zealand, after a 6·3-scale earthquake at 12.52 p.m. NZDT today, has all of us deeply concerned for our Kiwi neighbours.
Here are some useful links:
- Local Emergency Phone Number: 111 or 0800 779 997
- Here’s what you can consider: New Zealand Red Cross is accepting donations.
- The New Zealand Blood Service website was down when we visited
- Twitter updates can be found at hashtag #eqnz.
- Google has a Person Finder for those who are looking for people or wish to report they are OK.
- Ushahidi incident reporting
- For Australian’s concerned about friend’s or family members, if you cannot contact them directly (most phone services are down) call the DFAT helpline 1300 555 135 or the Australian High Commission on +64 473 6411
- There are regular news updates on 3News
- Christchurch Quake Map
- New Zealand Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management website
- Local Emergency Phone Number: 111
- News, maps, and resources regarding the Christchurch earthquake
- GeoNet – Recent New Zealand Earthquakes
- Canterbury Earthquake site managed by Environment Canterbury
- Realtime hashtags related to the earthquake: #eqnz,#nzearthquake, #chch, #christchurchquake
- Donations to the New Zealand Red Cross